The SRM Tool (Spring Resistance Meter) does three things;
- It accurately measures the “spring tension” on the pickup shoes one at a time for all HO cars both Pancake and Inline motor type cars. See Pictures.
- It measures the brush arm tensioners on the pancake type chassis.
- It Has the ability to set the spring tension based on rail height.
- Measurements are in 1/10 of a gram increments.
- All 3 operations are done by the one adjustable screw.
1. What are the advantages of the SRM (Spring Resistance Meter) Tool?
• Accurately measurement of spring tension for pickup shoes and brush arm tensioners on T-Jet chassis.
• Ability to accurately set the SRM tool to measure spring tension based on rail height.
• Dramatically reduces car setup time during build cycle or the loss of a pickup shoe spring.
• T-Jets Brush Tensioners can be measured or readjusted and set to the same force.
• Pickup shoes are repeatedly contacted at the same point for accurate measurements.
2. Why should I care about the Pickup Shoe Spring Tension?
The pickup shoe spring tension is directly related to the speed and handling of the car. A balanced approach has always worked best, that is what differentiates the champions from the normal racers. Now you have a tool that will enable the normal racer to close that gap with remarkable accuracy by balancing spring tension and handling.
3. What about the Brush Tensioners?
Brush arm tensioners directly affects the speed of the HO car. More tension generally means faster but not always, and does not necessarily provide the best drivability. The Ideal setup is to have both brush tensioners at the same force. This can now be accomplished with the SRM Tool.
4. I currently use a Gram Gauge to measure tension, what is different about the SRM tool.
The current device a (Gram Gauge) proves inconsistent and inaccurate because it is difficult to contact the shoe in exactly the same point every time, especially when measuring a cantilever type setup in ones hand, (i.e. pickup shoes). Secondly you are not able to adjust the shoe tension based on rail height, the SRM Tool does.
5. What type of cars can I test with the SRM Tool?
All types of HO cars starting from T-Jets to Unlimited cars. T-Jet cars utilize both pickup and brush tensioners, where as the inline cars will only use it for the pickup shoe springs. (More to come)
6. How will this tool help my racing performance?
You will have a new way to know if your car slowed down because of the brush tension or the pickup shoe spring force.
7. The Gram gauge readings are a bit lower than the SRM Tool readings.
First the readings from the gram gauge may have been taken while contacting the pickup shoes at a different point. Second the screw adjustment on the SRM Tool may be too high.